President Sang Lee

Taekwondo Family & Friends

The United States Taekwondo Committee (USTC), as a fledgling organization, has hosted the 2008 World Taekwondo Hanmadang in Los Angeles, CA.  That was the first time that the World Taekwondo Hanmadang has ever been hosted outside of Korea. Additionally, our organization has hosted several Kukkiwon seminars, an International Taekwondo Hanmadang Referee Certification Course in 2008, and an International Poomsae Course that was designed to instruct participants in the way in which Kukkiwon instructs and tests Taekwondo Poomsae.

 

This year, again the USTC is making history by hosting the first ever US Open Taekwondo Hanmadang/US National Taekwondo Hanmadang. this event was originally scheduled to provide a national event in which US Taekwondo participants might come together to celebrate Taekwondo in a festival atmosphere. However, many of our international Taekwondo friends asked if they could be allowed to participate as well. This led us to re-think the event and to find a way to include our international Taekwondo Friends. That is why you will see the names of the two events separated by a hyphen. We welcome and invite all Taekwondo practitioners to come to Chicago and join us in our celebration of Taekwondo.

 

All who practice Taekwondo know that Taekwondo is an Olympic sport. Unfortunately, that includes on the Sparring aspect of Taekwondo. We all know that there is so much more to Taekwondo, the martial art. At most, only 5% of those who participate in Taekwondo do so with the goal of making the Olympic Team. The other 95% train in Taekwondo for the other benefits such as Self Confidence, Discipline, and Self-control, Self-Defense, physical fitness, strength, flexibility, stress relief, etc.  (Martial Art aspect).

 

The Taekwondo Hanmadang is a unique and dynamic event that features numerous breaking routines, traditional and creative forms, self-defense techniques, and demonstrations.  At the US Open Taekwondo Hanmadang/US National Taekwondo Hanmadang we have even added "Extreme"  to the Poomsae Division, with the idea of including weapons in the routines. We are also adding a "Family" Division that will be solely for family members to have an outlet to participate together. The word "Hanmadang" can be a bit challenging to directly translate.  However, in its purest sense "Hanmadang" means: "Everyone coming together to celebrate, enjoy, and cheer for one another."  It is a festival for all to enjoy.

 

The World Taekwondo (WT) is the International Committee for Sport Taekwondo recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). USA Taekwondo is the Member National Association recognized by the WT. This organization creates the road to Olympic Taekwondo, which not all Taekwondo practitioners are able to follow.

 

The Kukkiwon (KKW) is the World Taekwondo Headquarters responsible for issuing Master Instructor Licenses, Black Belt certification, as well as being responsible for the  development of Taekwondo throughout the world. The United States Taekwondo Committee (USTC) is an organization that wholeheartedly embraces the Kukkiwon's philosophy in the United States.

 

Thank you for your support.

 

Sincerely,

‚Äč

 

 

 

 

Sang Lee

President

US Taekwondo Committee

Affiliates/Supporters

© 2013-2018 by USTC. All rights reserved.

USATaekwondoLogo2018_500x500.png